DO YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF HISTORY?
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN MUSIC THAT HAS A STRONG SENSE OF PLACE?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HELP GATHER SOUNDS & STORIES?
We are looking for volunteers to help collect memories & ordinary familiar sounds specific to people & place, highlighting dialects & mannerisms that characterise roots & converting those creative influences into something digital that can be shared by others.
The Identity Inspiration Memories Audio Platform (iiMap website), supported by Sound and Music, London is a carefully considered & authentically local ‘Favourites Selection’ including but not exclusively highlighting the Orkney Islands in Northern Scotland, UK.
· Collect written memories of ordinary and familiar sounds relating to an individual place and its people. For example, industry, transport, markets, voices, sport being played, children playing, agriculture, street noise, wildlife etc
· Collect audio snippets (up to 60 seconds long) to accompany these stories both from those who complete the survey and have audio to submit, and from existing partner archives in the form of a link or a sound bite
· Create a special online digital sound and story archive, searchable in categories that can be shared by future creatives, and anyone interested in exploring these sounds
Lead Volunteer Roles
· Data Protection Volunteer – to remove personal data from submitted surveys, create identification code for each, and distribute identified sounds to Lead Volunteer to assign to General Volunteers to research
· Audio Volunteer – to hold sounds collected, check copyright and upload to sound hosting platform
· Lead Volunteer – identify which sounds are to be researched, assign sounds and co-ordinate General Volunteers. Check Copyright and co-ordinate upload to the iiMap website
· Collect and categorise completed surveys and audio material and forward to Data Protection Volunteer
· Distribute and conduct in person surveys
· Distribute project flyers
· Collate and categorise newly submitted survey material as it comes in (in line with Data Protection Policy)
· Collate and categorise newly submitted audio material as it comes in (in line with Data Protection Policy and Copyright Checks)
· Liaise with Partner Archives to source and match up sounds identified by the completed surveys and undertake relevant Copyright Checks